Jeffrey has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Welcome to This World: 2.75 lbs.

Danielle began having some cramps yesterday afternoon. We called her doctor and spoke to the nurse on duty. She said that the number of exam we’ve had this week correlates to some discomfort. We carried on the rest of the day, and the cramps got worse. We assumed that she was having Braxton Hicks contractions. But things continued to get a little more concerning, so upon the advice of our friend Joanne (who just delivered her second child a few months ago) we called our doctor again. Dr. Corale Surgeon told us to come into Highland Hospital.
Nurse Louise took good care of us at HH, but it soon became apparent that Danielle was running a fever from an infection and that the amniotic fluid was dangerously low… and possibly septic. Jeffrey’s heart rate was spiking to very high levels. The resident on duty told us that we needed to go to Strong Hospital’s Neonatal unit, because the baby needed to come out. Ohmygod! Did she just say that the baby was going to be born? Today?!
At 11:30 PM, Gates Ambulance arrived to transfer Danielle to Strong – Paramedic Bryan Gammill, Ed Verdouw and Ed & Nancy Mauro. Highland docs had already begun to give Dani some antibiotics to fight the infection and some steroids to help the baby’s lung development. When we arrived on Strong’s 3.1400, they began an oxytocin drip and some codeine for pain. I called Mike in a panic, as we hadn’t packed a hospital bag. He ran up to Hilton without hesitation and grabbed clothes and our camera at 3:00 AM. Dani struggled with contractions of increasing strength and frequency through the night. At about 7:30, Dr. Becks came in to administer an epidural. Third time’s a charm to get the numbness.
Her contractions progressed through the morning, in a little more comfort. Kevin & Kimberly arrived with cold Pepsi to celebrate after the pending delivery. At 10:15, I went to greet them. Within a few minutes, the nurse came to get me and said “Your wife is ready to deliver NOW.” They checked her cervix and realized that she was dilated fully and his head was on its way!
I gowned up and ran to the room. Dani got ready and began her first push. The head was already visible – or at least a small portion of it. The next push brought his head up to the ears. One more push and he was out! 10:30 AM. The pediatricians rushed him into another room and began administering oxygen, as his lungs were not fully developed. They invited me in within a few minutes. I said “hello” to my new son and shed tears of happiness.
Dani and I got situated after the birth as Jeffrey was whisked off to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). They transferred us to a new room as our friends and family showed up. Everyone was so incredibly helpful.
We’ve been in to see our son a few times today, and we’ve tried to bring everyone in to see him who’s shown up at the hospital. Hey, we’re proud of him! He’s on a ventilator now so they can apply surfactant to his developing lungs. Dr. Lavender hopes that he can be off the vent by tomorrow.
We’re very excited and very exhausted. Thank you to everyone who’s been there for us.


ArthurDent said...

We're so happy to hear that everything is going well. Your call Saturday morning was not quite the one we were expecting!

Welcome to the world, Jeffery!

Anonymous said...

It's time to start saving.